RSU 22 Student Proficiency Based High School Diplomas will now begin being awarded in 2020. Students will be expected to meet standards in English Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies and one other content area.
“Students who can identify what they are learning significantly outscore those who cannot.” –Robert J. Marzano
What is Student Centered Proficiency Based Education (PBE)?
Proficiency-based education refers to any system of academic instruction, assessment, grading and reporting that is based on students demonstrating mastery of the knowledge and skills they are expected to learn before they progress to the next lesson, get promoted to the next grade level or receive a diploma.
PBE systems look very different across the State of Maine, however a few key areas are the same:
- All students must demonstrate mastery of key learning targets (standards) before moving on in their learning.
- The system is transparent and clear about what standards students must meet. In every class, students know what the learning expectations are for the learning experience. These are not kept “secret” as they have been in the past. Students know where they stand in their learning, what they need to do to demonstrate mastery, and what learning is next after they do.
- Consistent evaluation methods are used by teachers across RSU 22’s K-12 continuum. Standards are consistent across schools.
- While learning expectations (standards) are fixed, teachers and students have some flexibility in how they learn the required content, how they demonstrate proficiency of the content, and when they demonstrate proficiency.
- NEW! Project 4.0: Students who meet the proficiency level at RSU #22 will be given the opportunity to reach the mastery level by completing the attached project for the listed standard.
Project 4.0 Standard Opportunities:
Reading: Literature: Story Element (grades 1-5)
Reading:Literature: Theme (grades 3-12)
Writing: Types & Purposes: Narratives (grades 1-8)
Mathematics: Number Sense: Place Value (grades 1-7)