Eighth Grade Learning Targets
REGIONAL SCHOOL UNIT #22
RSU #22 is committed to the optimal learning of all students. As RSU #22 continues to move towards meeting 2018 graduation expectations, we have elected to look at proficiency learning targets K-12. Rather than only the high school being responsible to
report student proficiency, we have created some initial targets at each grade level. We know that some children may be able to meet standards beyond the targets listed at the grade level. We also know that some students will need more time to meet the
Standards Scored on the Report Card:
Language Acquisition: Use of Language
• Understands verbal irony and puns contribute to meaning and create tone and mood.
Language Conventions: Punctuation
• Understands the rules for using devices that indicate pause.
Reading Informational: Author’s Reasoning
• Understands the difference between sound/unsound reasoning and relevant/irrelevantevidence used to support an argument.
Literature: Character Development
• Understands the types of conflict.
Reading Literature: Narration
• Understands when a narrator is unreliable and how it affects the point of view.
Writing Research: Accessing Information
• Understands when quoting or paraphrasing information from another source one must follow a standard format to cite the sources.
Writing Types & Purpose: Informative, Explanatory
• Is skilled at using transitions to help clarify relationships among ideas and concepts.
Writing Types & Purpose: Narratives
• Is skilled at providing a conclusion that reflects experience, observation, or resolution.
Writing Types & Purpose: Opinion, Argument
• Is skilled at using varied transitions, linking major sections of a text, connecting relationships and creating cohesion in a piece of writing.
Writing Process: Revising & Editing
• Understands voice can be revised to enhance writing.